Managing hazards and assessing risks better
A company that has committed to a risk-based approach to process safety, understands its hazards and has assessed its risks and is able to manage those hazards and risks.
DEKRA's services enable an organisation to demonstrate to regulators and stakeholders that:
- They know how to safely operate and maintain their processes
- They have an effective and efficient change control system in operation
- They are be able to anticipate, respond to and manage incidents
Our services for managing hazards and risks include:
- Developing Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs)
- Assistance with the development of permit to work and associated systems (e.g. equipment isolation) and training in these systems
- Identification of safety critical plant and equipment, along with suitable maintenance practices
- Non-electrical equipment ignition risk assessments to determine ignition prevention arrangements for equipment
- Assistance with definition of competency requirements for contractors
- PSM Training (DEKRA offers over 50 courses)
- Help in defining the risk assessments required when managing change
- Assistance in developing Pre Start-up Safety Review (PSSR) procedures and facilitating a PSSR
- Development of accident scenarios for emergency planning (e.g. dispersion modelling)
- Help in developing actions to mitigate risk when an incident occurs (e.g. toxic refuges, evacuation procedures, occupied buildings risk assessments)
An occupied building risk assessment would typically include the following steps:
- Identify which buildings need to be defined as occupied and their occupancy levels.
- Identification of major hazards e.g. fire, explosion and toxic release.
- Quantification of the hazard levels and their likely frequency using appropriate modelling techniques.
- Assessment of personnel vulnerability inside each building as a result of the hazard levels .
- Estimation of individual risk to personnel.
- Specification of practicable risk reduction measures and demonstration that risks have been reduced to ALARP (As Low As Reasonably Practicable).